Pulao is Rice preparation made either with vegetables or meat portions . It has various variations. Vegetable pulao is something which is made on any occasion or even without any occasion. The aromatic flavors makes it stand out from the rest of the variations. Traditionally, the raw rice is cooked with the spices till done and then fluffed. This recipe is a quick version of it which is not only easy and fast to make but also yields the same taste.
- 3 cups of cooked basmati rice (make sure the rice are not over cooked. Left over rice works fine)
- ½ cup carrots diced
- ½ cup beans sliced diagonally
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 5-6 whole black pepper
- 2 star aniseed
- 1 piece of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- salt to taste
- In a mortar and pestle lightly crush the cardamoms, black pepper.
- Par boil the carrots, beans and peas. Keep aside.
- In a wok heat the ghee and let it melt. Once it is hot add the crushed spices, cinnamon, star anise and bay leaf. Sauté for about a minute on a low heat. Make sure the ghee is not too hot or the spices may burn.
- Add the sliced onions and fry till they are soft and pink.
- Add the beans, carrot and peas. Cook covered till the vegetable are fully cooked.
- Add the rice and salt and mix lightly taking care not the breaks the rice.
- Serve hot.