Upma is the traditional breakfast of South India. It is very easy to make and also is very healthy as it is made with lots of fresh vegetables. Upma is famous for its lightness and nutritional value.
- 1 cup raw semolina
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen peas
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 onion finely sliced
- ½ French beans cut into diagonals
- 2 strands curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- In a wok heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and green chillies. Sauté for a minute and add the curry leaves. As soon as they crackle add the sliced onions and fry till they are soft and translucent.
- Add the finely chopped ginger and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- To this add the peas, carrots and the beans. Add salt and let it cook covered for about 4-5 minutes or till they are done.
- Add the semolina and mix well. It will stick to the wok but mix it well.
- Sprinkle some water from the 1 ½ cup and stir constantly so as to prevent the formation of lumps.
- Repeat till all the water is consumed. Make sure not to add all the water at once as this will make lumpy and cake like Upma. For fluffy Upma it is important to add a little water at a time and continue to stir.
- Adjust the salt and Serve hot.